Monday, January 6, 2014

Japanese New Year in Shizuoka (Mt. Fuji and dogs)

Happy New Year!!


During the New Year's period, my host family was kind enough to bring me to my host dad's parents' house in Shizuoka. Of course, when we talk about Shizuoka, the first thing we think of is Mt. Fuji! We drove there in the morning so during almost the entire trip in the car I got to see Mt. Fuji in front of me.
It was just so pretty to look at in the car >.<


It took us about two hours to get there since we got out pretty early, thinking about the traffic jam later on. There's a beach near my host's house that was recently certified as a World Heritage for being able to see Mt. Fuji and the sea at the same time. 
It was one of the most wonderful things I've seen in a while...











The house of my host dad was really big with lots of rooms and lots of dogs!! I love dogs so I was really happy since there were four of them. Everybody were really friendly and generous. Unfortunately I got sick on the second day and just completely died D:
Traditionally, Japanese people go to temples on the 31st to strike the bell (除夜の鐘). The bell can only be rang 108 times so only 108 people can do it. We went there at around 11:40pm to line up and I celebrated the arrival of 2014 in line. Luckily, we did get the chance to ring it and it's in my vlog.
Then, on January 1st, people go to the temple again to do their first prayers (初詣). It was really crowded and everybody were buying something from the temple since it's really important for Japanese people to get blessed by God since the beginning of the year. 


 I bought an Ema with Mt. Fuji on it

It was really fun to be able to travel with my host family since I know other students don't necessarily have the opportunity to do so. I'm so grateful for their generosity.

Wish you guys a Happy New Year!!
あけましておめでとうございます!!

If you want to contact me for anything please comment here or
Youtube: Manou Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment